From Melbourne to Europe and all points in between, Rob Snarski shares his observations and insights from the music world he has performed in, the people he has worked with, his family, the domesticated animals he has loved, and the things he’s had to do to pay the rent.
Listen to the JOHNNY CASH chapter from T H E B O O K.
Snarski has played in seminal Australian bands since the 1980s: Chad’s Tree, The Blackeyed Susans, and as a guest singer with The Triffids. These recollections and photographs uncover a delicate humour in the man who remains a dedicated follower of music and the musicians he’s been influenced by.
I've always had a penchant for 4-track demos and lo-fi home recordings especially back in the day of tape. To me they've held a charm and honesty where the flaws become the strengths; there's usually a more relaxed vocal delivery, an unbalanced mix and some awkward arrangements, which for whatever reason sound sweet to my ears.
This collection of songs came about through a crowd-funding project, songs requested by fans and friends and all were recorded at home - in the kitchen, office and bedroom on my iPhone. I didn’t really set about recording the songs meticulously and it wasn't until late into the project it dawned on me I was gathering quite an interesting collection of song requests and perhaps other likeminded lo-fi music loving folk may enjoy them as well. Everything from Pulp to Glen Campbell, Nina Simone to Spiritualized, Chad's Tree to Lou Reed.
The recordings were played to producer and guitarist Shane O'Mara who embraced the project wholeheartedly - tweaking things here and there and adding to the atmosphere of it all ... a touch of extra reverb, adding an electric guitar or sitar or just a simple EQ of my original recording.
The most difficult part was the sequence of the tracklisting of this ungainly beast.
"Low Fidelity (Songs By Request Volume 1)" is out now.
1. Graciously (Edwyn Collins)
2. Tiny Dancer (Elton John / Bernie Taupin)
3. I Can’t Make It Alone (Gerry Goffin / Carole King)
4. The Way You See Me (Willie Nelson)
5. River (Joni Mitchell)
6. The Flood Johanna (Chad's Tree / Mark Snarski)
7. Wild Is The Wind (Dimitri Tiomkin / Ned Washington)
8. Come On Home To Me (Lee Hazelwood)
9. You Lie, You Cheat (Spiritualized / J. Spaceman)
10. Babies (Pulp)
11. Bad Man (Greg Oblivian)
12. Witchita Lineman (Jimmy Webb)
13. Turning Off A Memory (Merle Haggard)
14. Satellite Of Love (Lou Reed)
15. Golden Boy (Rob Snarski / Marc O'Carroll)
16. Dolphins (Fred Neil)
17. Bridge Over Troubled Water (Paul Simon)
18. Wolves (Phosphorescent / Matthew Houck)